Choose one of the divorce advice videos from the slider below:

Welcome to the Stowe Family Law divorce advice video page. Here, UK top Divorce Lawyer Marilyn Stowe shares her insights on a range of important family law issues, frequently discussed topics and commonly asked questions. As one of the UK’s most formidable and sought after family lawyers, she has plenty of valuable perspectives to offer.

The 12 topics have been carefully selected. These issues crop up time and again in consultations with clients both calm and distraught, in our free legal advice clinics and in questions left by readers on the popular Marilyn Stowe Family Law Blog.

We plan to regularly add new videos, so you like what you see here, please share on social media or add your comments below. Let us know what topics you’d like us to cover in future.

Divorce, separation and family disputes are some of the most difficult experiences any of us will ever have to face. We all need a little help moving on with our lives.


Bill Stiles - January 12, 2016 at 2:25pm

I am aged 61 and my wife is 49. We are getting divorced. We were married for 17 years. I took early retirement from the CPS in June 2015 after being with them for 21 years. I took a lump sum of circa 40k and a pension of circa £400 pcm. Our house was sold and everything was split. I used the 40k to put towards my new house which I bought cash last August. My estranged wife now wants half of my civil service pension and i have in writing from her solicitor if I agree then she will not persue half of the 40k. This seems reasonable to me. Should I agree and if so is ther any caveats I should ask for i.e how long would she expect me to give her half my pension. There are no children involved. I have gone back to work 16 hours a week.

Marilyn Stowe - January 12, 2016 at 2:36pm

Dear Bill
You dont explain the entirety of your financial circumstances or that of your wife. She is 12 years younger than you and presumably has an income capacity which you shouldn’t ignore. Its not just a case in law of an equal split, its about meeting both your reasonable needs and dividing income and capital fairly in order to do so. That may not result in a 50/50 outcome. Maintenance payments whether out of earned income or pension isnt necessarily payable at all or life long, it might be for a fixed term:- it all depends on what else there is and both your reasonable needs.
My view is that you should seek legal advice if you havent already done so.

Julie green - March 23, 2016 at 2:15pm

Hi I would like some advice please , my ex husband and I divorced but we still left our morgage in both our names on the morgage, we have both remarried and unfortunately my ex has just passed away, does this mean that I’m not entitled to any of the property , as we wanted it to go to our only child if anything happens to either of us . Thanking you Mrs j green

KA - July 21, 2017 at 3:47pm

I have been married for 43 years and with my husband 3 years before that. I have recently found out that he has been having an affair with our sons mother in law and last week he left the marital home to go and live with her. His partner now was left a substantial amount of money by her late husband, in excess of 1.5 million. She also has earnings of roughly 60,000
A year between investments and a cafe she owns. He wants us to sell our house which is only worth an estimated 160,000 and expects me to buy a property once the money has been split. My pension is not enough to live off and I don’t wish to draw our bond money out as we currently have an income of 660 a month from it, by cashing it in I will be left a few hundred a month short. Could you please advise me on the best steps to take?

leigh arthington - November 30, 2017 at 8:51pm

I already have the decree nisi which my ex partner applied for!…..the six weeks and one day has passed but can myself apply for a decree absolute without going to court??……my ex is happy to take all costs of the divorce???

Cameron Paterson - December 1, 2017 at 10:19am

Hello – you may find this post helpful

Leave a comment