DWP publishes new guide to help for domestic abuse

domestic violence

The Department for Work and Pensions has published a new guide to the services they provide for victims of domestic abuse.

It outlines the different benefits available to those who need them, such as housing benefit, jobseekers’ allowance and discretionary housing payments. It also explains the rules concerning child maintenance.

The guidance notes begins by insisting that domestic violence and abuse are “still a huge problem in our society, with far-reaching and devastating impacts.”

It then moves on to the currently accepted definition of domestic abuse:

“…any incident or pattern of incidents of controlling, coercive, threatening behaviour, violence or abuse between those aged 16 or over who are, or have been, intimate partners or family members regardless of gender or sexuality.”

The guide also notes that the current definition has been expanded beyond physical violence and now includes emotional, psychological and financial abuse.

It declares:

“The government is fully committed to the prevention of abuse and the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) has a range of measures designed to support people who flee violent and abusive households.”

Read the guide here.

Photo by Bart Maguire via Flickr

Dr Grumpy - January 8, 2018 at 11:21am

For a male victim of DV where it’s more psychological in addition to violence the real problem is proving that you are a victim for several year The is partwhen you ex claims that it is her who is the victim and plasters this all over her 3 Facebook pages and in court papers
I have given up trying to show that I am the victim and have to disprove her claims with my evidence

Mr T - January 8, 2018 at 4:34pm

I completely agree with Dr Grumpy and this has also been my experience. The police are absolutely useless and incompetent at taking action against women. I have way more proof than she does yet she gets a women’s aid support worker, legal aid and just about every court outcome going in her favour so far. It’s no wonder the suicide rate is so high in men.

Society needs to stop lying and pretending DV \ DA is a women and children’s issue because it suits getting jobs for women and feathering certain people’s nests!

This situation is wholly unacceptable. This needs to change.

Stitchedup - January 15, 2018 at 10:23am

I’ve had an indeterminate restraining order on me for 5-6 years now, it has never been breached although I’ve been arrested on several occasions with no further actions as my ex has made allegations that it had. I was under the impression as the original conviction. breach of non mol as I spoke to my ex, was spent as it was over 5 years ago. However, I’ve recently been told that it isn’t!! As the order is still on me the conviction is only spent when the order is removed!!! So I effectively have a life sentence!! I’ve approached a solicitor about applying to have the order removed but he said it will only be removed if the ex agrees… the courts look at it as her order I’m told. Is this true?? surely it’s the courts’ order, nobody should be allowed to hold an ex to ransom for the rest of their lives!! This affects my ability to find work, obtain Car insurance and all sorts of other things. At the end of the day all I was accused of doing was talking, and the order just orders me not to communicate with her, there’s no restrictions on my whereabouts etc. It all seems totally disproportionate and the reality is I’ve never been a danger to her, all the order has achieved is to facilitate parental alienation. Any advice you could give would be appreciated, not sure I’ll be employing the service of the solicitor I’ve already spoken to.

Mr T - January 15, 2018 at 11:42am

They are always disproportionate.

It’s legalised harassment and a flagrant breach of male human rights

Stitchedup - January 15, 2018 at 4:01pm

I agree Mr T, my ex has had me arrested just for posting Christmas cards with money for my sons through the letter box, yet there are no restrictions on my whereabouts or contact with my sons. I warned the police on the last occasion I was arrested, that I would sue for harassment if they continued to arrest me for actions that are not excluded under the order. Fortunately they’ve not bothered me since, last Christmas the ex just posted the cards back through my sister’s letter box, no visits from the Police for me.

Mr T - January 15, 2018 at 10:22pm

I’m just working on a cease and desist letter for two constabularies right now for this exact same issue.

Stitchedup - January 23, 2018 at 11:06am

Mr T,
it’s probably worth mentioning PACE code G “A lawful arrest requires two elements: A person’s involvement or suspected involvement or attempted involvement in the commission of a criminal offence; AND Reasonable grounds for believing that the person’s arrest is necessary. • both elements must be satisfied, and • it can never be necessary to arrest a person unless there are reasonable grounds to suspect them of committing an offence. ”
The Police do not follow this when it comes to domestic allegations, they instead follow a self imposed “Positive Action” policy which very often means they arrest first and ask questions later hence in breach of code G. In my case, I was arrested for being in a restaurant when my ex was there, posting Christmas card addressed to my sons, and being in a pub when my ex was there. Order wording with names removed … “You must not contact (name removed) directly or indirectly save via a solicitor for the sale of real property”…. No other restrictions!! So my actions did not amount to a breach or crime…. so why arrest when there was no breach of order or crime committed??!!!???

Cameron Paterson - January 15, 2018 at 12:19pm

Hi Stichedup – I’m advised by one of the solicitors here that restraining orders are handled by criminal courts rather than civil ones (for example, family courts). As we are a family law specialist we therefore wouldn’t be able to offer any advice

Stitchedup - January 15, 2018 at 12:31pm

Thanks for looking into this. I’m aware that restraining orders are handled by criminal lawyers but as a family law firm dealing with non-mols which are essentially a civil restraining order, I assumed you would have some knowledge of how applications to have restraining orders removed are viewed by the criminal courts. I guess I’m really only looking to answer whether it’s worth applying to have the order removed if it will only be removed if the ex agrees… i.e. do the courts look at it as her order???

Cameron Paterson - January 15, 2018 at 12:42pm

For various reasons, solicitors are very careful not to stray outside their defined areas of expertise. Try finding a firm of solicitors near you that handle criminal matters but who also offer free advice clinics: that could be a good way to get a second opinion on your situation

Stitchedup - January 15, 2018 at 2:33pm

Well, just paid a quick visit to the Magistrates Court where the order was issued and got a copy of the order and some advice at the enquiries desk. The feeling I got was that it was unlikely it would be removed if the ex disagrees, which is essentially what I had been told. However, I bumped into a Solicitor I know who advised that the courts rarely issue indefinite orders these days, so the fact that it’s indefinite and nearly 6 years has passed without breach could go in my favour. She also found the wording of the order a little strange….. her comment… is that it?? Order wording with names removed … “You must not contact (name removed) directly or indirectly save via a solicitor for the sale of real property”…. No other restrictions!! I clearly never was a genuine threat to her safety!!!!