Witnessing child abuse exempts you from CMS fee

family law

Single parents who apply to the Child Maintenance Service for financial assistance will no longer have to pay the £20 fee if they can demonstrate that they witnessed the abuse of their children.

The Department for Work and Pensions has amended its rules to include seeing child abuse committed by a current or former partner – or a family member – in its definition of domestic violence. Applicants judged to be victims receive automatic exemption from the fee, which has been payable since June 2014.

The guidance lists the specific organisations that the applicant must have reported the abuse to in order to qualify for the exemption.

You can read more here.

Photo by Petras Gagilas via Flickr under a Creative Commons licence.

Andrew - August 4, 2017 at 10:51am

It is on the applicant’s word – no finding by a court, not even ex parts, is required. And it will be assumed even if only subconsciously rhay ot is true because exemption was given. It’s just plain wrong.

Andrew - August 4, 2017 at 11:43am

Correctly spelt, damn my phone:

It is on the applicant’s word – no finding by a court, not even ex parte, is required. And it will be assumed even if only subconsciously that it is true because exemption was given. It’s just plain wrong.

Stitchedup - August 4, 2017 at 12:23pm

Only if the applicant is a woman Andrew. I’ve personally lost all faith in our justice system. 5 years on, and I still can’t wrap my head around the way I was treated. I’ve tried to do everything right in my life and provided the best I could for my family, but come separation time the courts treated me like a complete and utter arsehole, believing any and every allegation my ex chose to throw my way. I don’t smoke, gamble and certainly don’t take drugs. My only vice, if you can call it that, is I enjoy a pint and a packet of peanuts whilst putting the world to rights with some friends, and a glass or two of good wine with some good food. Foolishly I admitted this which resulted in me being portrayed as a raving alcoholic… NO… I’m a human being who enjoys the company of friends and some of the finer things in life.. That’s all.

Paul - August 4, 2017 at 2:24pm

We know exactly where your coming from and what you feel like. Ive never even met you an I know you’ve done nothing. Because im in exactly the same boat. This is another case where women are openly encouraged to lie to get a finacial reward or waver.
No evidence, no proof. no justice. This discrimination is a national disgrace.

Paul - August 4, 2017 at 2:51pm

Question is what are we going to do about it?
Our government are stopping us from seeing our kids. Violating EU law denying us the right to a family life.
On top of that to ensure they rob us of this basic human right they see fit to ‘stigmatise’ us and lable us all as abusers and molesters to acheive their sick goals. Convicting us of nonsense crimes in sickening witch trials.
I can’t see how our human rights could be more abused. This really is a darkage mentality we are facing.
I know who my enemys are. They are not playing by any rules of gentlemanly conduct. They are treating us like a bunch of cxxts.
Im not just toddling on with my life an putting up with that. Pay my CSA bill and shut up. I don’t think so !!
These laws have killed over 4000 fathers. As things stand you are a ‘lucky one’ a surviver. Over 4000 have given up and ended their own life.
It is not even raised as an issue in parliment. No thats a lie. It has been raised for years in parliment and been collectively ignored. Because parliment is run by femanazis fathers do not matter. They dont care if 4000 have died they dont care if 10000 die. They do not care if you tie a rope round your neck and die.
I am ready to fight this until the facist pigs throw me in prison.
What are we waiting for?
It is time to get angry. It is time to fight !!!
(*Comment moderated)

Andy - August 4, 2017 at 11:54pm

So.the gold digger Mother saves £20 quid as to qualify for financial hardship..Who in the bloody hell dreamed this one up…So to sum it up £20 bloody quid is saved but I can guarantee that this will be then added to the child maintenance payments paid by the NRP surprise supprise,on top of all the lies that have been told to the court to gain extra finances…So your expert witness has verified your abuse..Is that a witness if paid enough to support the lies by the ex partner…This is so rediculase it is boarders get on dream world..so the court believe the scheming mother but no one believes you funny that when it comes to court to defend yourself and all the so called Man haters who are apparently professional experts in family living and what is best for the children..Cafcass is one joke example where it has been proven that if they say or create any report it generally incorrect but supported in court..

As a NRP you can guess what will happen here.You as an example,you play football as the NRP spend a quality time with the children or other..so back to my example which will be accurate account.
Playing a sport that engages certain activities as football or other your child acquires scratches or scrapes that are in keeping with such sport and you can guess where this is going to lead but for this example you then receive such actions now pushed through the legal system to be accused of child abuse..
This is just outrageous if such laws can be pushed through then what and where were any fathers groups consulted or was it the usual slipped through under something else..Welcome to the scheming and anti Father government….

Andy - August 5, 2017 at 12:04am

This government is just one big joke…as my prior commenters have said. Where are the father groups here as one statement says 9,16,20,25 % of your hard earnings pay for child support. Then you have to live as well..fathers pay and all the idiots in power do is load some more so that fathers pay more…

This and any thing related to the incompetent CMS makes my blood boil..high time fathers who pay and I mean pay what you can afford but not what the CMS think then threaten you with all the tactics they can…challenge the system because they think good old fathe figure will keep paying…just you wait they will increase the age threshold to 25 or 30 when you stop paying maintenance…
(*Comment moderated)

Andy - August 6, 2017 at 11:20am

Just a question.my prior comments seem to have been removed or disappeared?..

Stitchedup - August 7, 2017 at 2:17pm