23 Tories back relationship lessons in school

family law

Twenty-three Conservative MPs have backed a measure to introduce mandatory sex and relationship lessons in secondary schools.

The group, which includes five former cabinet ministers, have reportedly expressed their support for ‘relationship education’ to be added to the National Curriculum.

Education Secretary Justine Greening is among the MPs who are pushing for this change. She explained that these classes would include information about issues such as “the meaning of consent, signs of an exploitative relationship, including physical, mental and sexual harassment, conflict management and safety online”.

Children will also be taught about “the importance of respect, tolerance and commitment in all types of healthy relationships” Greening added.

The measure was introduced in the House of Commons this week as an amendment to the Children and Social Work Bill which is currently being debated by Members of Parliament. If adopted this would represent the biggest changes to sex education in 17 years.

The five former ministers supporting the amendment are Dominic Grieve, Nicky Morgan, Maria Miller, Dame Caroline Spelman and Tim Loughton. The measure also has support from at least seven Labour MPs, The Telegraph reports. These include Shadow Minister for Women and Equalities Sarah Champion and former Labour Party Policy Coordinator Jon Cruddas.

A spokesperson for the Department for Education said these lessons should be “a vital part of preparing young people for success in adult life” so the government was “looking at options to ensure all children have access to high-quality teaching in these subjects”.

Last month, a survey by children’s charity Barnardo’s found that 74 per cent of youngsters want relationship lessons in school. In a poll of 1,000 children between 11 and 15 years old, the vast majority believed that being taught about these matters in an age-appropriate way would help keep them safe.

Photo of Justine Greening courtesy of DFID – UK Department for International Development via Flickr under a Creative Commons licence.

keith - February 12, 2017 at 1:27pm

im not against safeguarding children from so-called sex predators but looking at the world from outside the box its odd how the human race have become so far removed from nature. it seems bizarre that when we look at the natural world there is no other species on the planet that needs to have lessons in sex education, it all happens naturally and instinctively. its odd why humans dont do as nature does. this is very likely why the world is in such a mess as stated by Donald Trump. ever restricting rules regulations and Laws just isnt the answer. i think the human race is long overdue for a reboot.

JamesB - February 12, 2017 at 5:44pm

I think it is a good idea and reject keith’s analogy that we should stick by our animal urges. Provided isn’t another session of feminists haranguing young men which can pass for teaching in the media and at school oftentimes these days.

spinner - February 13, 2017 at 10:36am

In practise it will just be a bunch of feminazi’s trying to indoctrinate boys with myths such as the pay gap and conspiracy theories such as the patriarchy. Considering how badly schools are doing at teaching boys already I think they should focus on Maths, English and Science then when they have that right for boys move onto other subjects.

JamesB - February 13, 2017 at 3:08pm

re Considering how badly schools are doing at teaching boys already

I agree completely.

Perhaps the answer is to pay male teachers more to ensure there are more male teachers at primary and secondary schools. I can the count of the fingers of one finger the number of good teachers I had at school and it was a he.

JamesB - February 13, 2017 at 3:11pm

I mean, if we are doing gender bashing, then my suggestion is we pay male teachers more than female teachers.

A better suggestion and better use of taxpayers money then bashing young men for not understanding the non verbal clues that the women just aren’t that into them.

Blimey, why don’t politicians speak like me? Ooops I remember, Trump does and got elected for it, time to stop the bullshit.

JamesB - February 13, 2017 at 3:44pm

I am not saying “Grab ’em by the p*&%y”, that would be condoning sexual assault and I very much disagreed with him when he said that. Somewhere in-between the feminists and Trump (well what he is reported to have said in biased media) on this would probably be about right.

JamesB - February 13, 2017 at 3:47pm

disagree and disagreed with him on that, on-going disgusts me that comment he made. Hate the sin not the sinner.

Andrew - February 13, 2017 at 4:28pm

Sorry, JamesB, but paying one gender more than the other got the identical same job has been illegal since the Equal Pay Act 1970 and nobody, but nobody, is going to change that.

Andrew - February 13, 2017 at 4:42pm

Or even FOR the identical same job DAMN THIS PHONE!

JamesB - February 13, 2017 at 7:57pm

Scrap the act. I was reading about the Viking slave trade in Dublin the other day, as you do, and the trade was female price was two thirds the gold coin of a male. Taliban won in Afghanistan also and also the birth rate has gone down and church of England down and divorces and house prices up since the act and ‘equality’. Am I playing devils advocate? Perhaps. I do believe women should be able to leave men, but giving them the ability to do that without encouraging them to is a difficult balancing act. I suppose its like penalising men for walking out on relationships without encouraging women to walk out on relationships. No I don’t believe in free market Viking like economics or clubbing and dragging women style of courtship or socialist communist intervention on the family.

I think I believe in the best people for the job and equal pay act is ok. If men are better then fine and vice versa. Just hearing more about more women getting more and more jobs and keeping pay rate down as they outsource their families perhaps that is the issue. Probably long winded way of saying I agree with you about not subsidising maternity leave and nurseries etc.

JamesB - February 13, 2017 at 8:00pm

Perhaps overall its better just to leave it and say curriculum should have good, not feminist, relationship classes as would help people have good ones and that is better for all especially including the children.

JamesB - February 13, 2017 at 5:32pm

Probably rightly so. Does seem to be more men tend to be the headmasters more at primary school though so there is perhaps merit in the point about perhaps men and women are different and perhaps good teachers should be paid more and perhaps there are more (not all) good male than female teachers. Not having a great day and my initial idea was not right or properly thought through. Perhaps an argument for super teachers instead. My main point is that I am with the politicians when they say they don’t want society of individuals and feral kids and relationship breakdown and think school as well as home could help with or towards that.

JamesB - February 13, 2017 at 10:53am

Saw a strange advert on tv the other day. “If she doesn’t say anything that is not consent” was the line it was pushing. I think tax payers paid for it. I think it was therefore doubly wrong. Wrong that taxpayers paid for it and wrong that you can cry rape without crying rape. There’s a load of stuff about consent on at the moment.

Would be nice to see a campaign against knife crime and violence amongst young men as sadly many times more people are affected by the amount of that in a bad way and that should be changed. It is strange that politicians only see a violence issues if there are women involved. They seem very far removed and unrepresentative to me. I like to think my daughters will be able to at least say no if they do not want to rather than blame the man and lock him up instead, poor answer that one.

JamesB - February 13, 2017 at 11:57am

What I mean by relationship classes is teaching people to listening to and talking to and respecting and understanding each other rather than the usual feminist stuff about being about men kissing women’s arses. I thought they did that in PSHE lessons anyway, if they don’t they should. That and project 8 (for year 8s). Speaking as someone who has a bit of seeing what they do in schools currently.