Madonna and Guy Ritchie settle Rocco dispute
September 8, 2016 0 comments
Pop star Madonna and filmmaker Guy Ritchie have come to an agreement about where their teenage son Rocco should live.
Earlier this year, the dispute generated headlines around the world when Rocco refused to return to the United States after visiting his father in London. He then enrolled in an English school. Madonna wanted him to live with her and launched legal proceedings in both London and New York, but her son insisted he wanted to stay in England.
A spokesperson for the New York State court system announced the settlement this week but did not provide exact details. However, several media outlets have reported that Rocco will remain in the UK with Guy Ritchie.
Back in March, a court-appointed lawyer for Rocco claimed the ongoing dispute had “been a very difficult time for him” and he wanted to “put an end to this as soon as possible without exposing him to more litigation, press innuendo, any of that kind of thing”.
New York State Supreme Court Justice Deborah Kaplan had said that “no one is disrupting [Rocco’s] household other than the inability of the parents to reach a resolution” and warned that if his parents “cannot resolve this matter then eventually the court will”.
Writing about the case in February, Marilyn Stowe said this was “exactly the kind of situation which should not be decided in front of a judge”.
“The best course of action here is I think for both parents to listen to their son’s views and try to incorporate them into an agreement that all three of them can get on board with.”
Photo by Jonas Bengtsson via Flickr under a Creative Commons licence.
September 8, 2016
Categories: Children and divorce